BOOM SHANKAR founder and design queen Dui Cameron says there’s never been a better time to get creative when it comes to fashion combinations, releasing a series of ‘Mix and Match’ collections over six weeks from early July.
“Spending more time at home means many of us are in clean-up and clean-out mode. We’re going through wardrobes and deciding what’s worth keeping, trading or passing on,” Dui says.
A self-confessed lover of ‘playing dress-ups’, Dui champions the merits of repurposing, upcycling and rethinking garments and how to wear them.
“Be bold, be brave, be loud and proud,” she says.
“Start by playing with what you have and partner pieces you may not have put together before.
Dui explains, “We had a whole lot of fun exploring the Boom Shankar archive and weaving different pieces together to create an exciting new Mix and Match collection, and we’re encouraging everyone to do the same in their own wardrobes”.
Dui’s five key style moves for mix and matching:
1. LAYER IT UP: Be a style alchemist and put together clothes that at first glance may seem to be unlikely friends! Play with different silhouettes using jersey layering pieces, shirts, blouses, and tights as base layers to reinvent dresses, pants, jumpsuits and jackets.
2. FORM A DRESS-UP NETWORK: To discover new outfits you may need to push your style comfort and not every outfit is going to work – that is half the fun! Gather a network of friends to send photos to for encouragement and style input as you to try new things. Mixing and matching is double the fun with friends!
3. PLAY WITH PRINT & COLOUR CLASHES: Be brave and try unusual combinations with these tips.
I. PRINT AS PLAIN: There are lots of prints like stripes, spots, checks, animal prints, geo prints and even some florals that can be used a bit like you would a plain black top that goes with everything. Clash away!
II. COLOUR HARMONY: Sometimes radically different prints using the same tones can be put together harmoniously.
III. THIRD PRINT’S A CHARM: If two prints are not working together, add a third print, it often pulls the outfit together and lets you have a print party!
4. MEND & MAKEOVER: Clothing is precious so extend its life as long as possible. If you have damaged clothing, don’t throw it away. Learn a new skill and repair it or give it an extreme makeover.
5. HAVE A CLOTHES SWAP PARTY: If you find there are pieces in your wardrobe not getting loved and worn, invite your friends to come over with their clothes too. You will no doubt find new treasures and it’s a lot of fun too!
“It’s really is all about experimenting and having fun, and when you take the time, you’ll unquestionably find you have some fabulous new ensembles – combinations that celebrate the individual wonderful you,” Dui says.
“And in these chillier months, inject some sunshine into your styling by bringing in pops of bright colour and bold print. It lifts your mood and puts a smile on your dial,” she says.
With pandemic dress-up fun top of mind, Dui and her design team have revived a range of soloist pieces into a series of new ‘Mix and Match’ collections.
“We’re bringing back transeasonal pieces from previous collections and teaming them with new friends,” Dui says.
“Yes, we’ve been doing my favourite thing in the world – playing ‘dress-ups’ – and I’m totally crushing on these reinvented looks!”
The six Mix and Match collections will be available online at www.boomshankar.com on the following release dates:
MOONLIGHT COWBOY – released 2 July
A dreamy symphony of sophisticated navy and rose lurex stripes paired with florals, checks, embroidered corduroy and denim.
CACTUS FLOWER – released 9 July
A bold mash-up of Aztec-inspired tailoring, stripe, spot and floral block prints spliced with country-style checks and luxurious lambswool knits.
HOME IN THE CLOUDS – released 16 July
An uplifting burst of bright floral embroidery, striking navy checks and embroidered cloud motifs that let you drift away on a dream.
GROOVE AWAY – released 23 July
A pop of ruby red and pink stripes that sing with our denim and corduroy transeasonal wardrobe essentials along with flashes of punchy boysenberry and floral.
HOME SOMEWHERE – released 30 July
A zesty blend of jewel toned colour blocking and licorice stripes mixed with the subtle swirls of Salt and Pepper prints and cool slouchy denim.
RAINBOW HOLIDAY Collection – released 6 August
A blitz of colour where painted brush strokes meet rainbow woven stripes, bright florals and a whimsical tropical printed broderie anglaise.