Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsPolice launch school holiday road safety campaign as lives lost nears 200

Police launch school holiday road safety campaign as lives lost nears 200

The Queensland Police Service has launched its annual September school holiday road safety campaign, Operation Spring Break.

This state-wide operation will be in effect until Friday 8 October, with an increased overt and covert policing presence on all major roadways for the school holiday and back to school period.

Assistant Commissioner Ben Marcus said as Queensland continued on a trajectory to its worst year on the roads in over a decade, the QPS was pleading with the public to make better decisions behind the wheel.

“We’re about to reach an incredibly grim milestone – 200 deaths on our roads,” he said.

“These aren’t just numbers – that’s 200 people whose lives were cut short, and who have left family and friends behind.

“Your actions behind the wheel are your responsibility and can have very serious consequences. We are asking you to take that responsibility very seriously.

“Police will be out there doing our bit, but we need road users to do theirs too.

“If you’re travelling with your family and enjoying our beautiful Queensland weather, you can expect to see police on the road in both marked and unmarked vehicles patrolling major thoroughfares.

“We want motorists to know that they can expect to see us anywhere, anytime and they should drive accordingly.”

Minister for Police and Corrective Services and Minister for Fire and Emergency Services Mark Ryan MP said motorcycle rider safety would continue to be a focus during spring and summer, as riders remained over-represented in fatal crashes.

“This past year, we have seen a spike in motorcycle registrations, meaning we are seeing more riders, who remain our most vulnerable road users, on Queensland roads,” he said.

“To date, we have sadly seen 44 motorcycle fatalities on our roads this year – 17 more than last year.”

Minister Ryan said that the Queensland Government and QPS were committed to getting Queenslanders to their holiday destinations and back home again, safely.

“With this warmer weather, I am expecting Queenslanders to take advantage of our beautiful coastline or heading out west to explore,” Minister Ryan said.

“I want drivers to take responsibility for their actions while travelling on the roads to these destinations for the safety of themselves, their families and others.

“If you’re out on the roads and not adhering to the road rules, you can expect to see police.

“We are asking the community to help make this a safe and enjoyable break for all.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

The power and the passion

A film documenting how the correct choice of plants and use of water can change the Australian landscape premieres in Gympie next month. Rehydrating Australia...

New leaders

Measles alert

Learn the ukulele

More News

New leaders

On Wednesday, the 2026 Senior Leaders of Good Shepherd Lutheran College were officially commissioned during a special Installation and Commissioning Service, a proud and significant...

Measles alert

Health authorities have issued a public alert after a confirmed measles case visited multiple locations on the Sunshine Coast, including wards at Sunshine Coast...

Learn the ukulele

Come and learn to play the Ukulele with Cherry the Ukulele Lady. She is back teaching ukulele after a big break. If...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Democracy undermined in state parliament

The first sitting of Queensland Parliament for 2026, saw the return of undemocratic politics seen pre-Christmas with urgency motions again used by government to...

30 Years of Inspired Learning

This year, Noosa Pengari Steiner School proudly celebrates 30 years of education. What began on 25 acres in Doonan has grown into a place...

Piano Day celebrated in Montville

Montville's Lucas Parklands will celebrate International Piano Day by presenting a recital by Queensland’s brilliant young pianist Rueben Tsang on Sunday 29 March at...

Call to scrap closures

Noosa’s hospitality sector is bracing for another disrupted Easter long weekend, with industry leaders warning outdated Queensland trading laws will force some venues to...

Circus returns to Noosa

After eight long Years, Hudsons Circus Returns to Noosa — And the Magic Feels Bigger Than Ever* For the first time in eight years, the...

Baroque is Bach

Good news for Noosa music lovers. Popular Sunshine Coast Arioso Chamber Ensemble is presenting its first performance for the year at Cooroy...