Gala brings funds to Katie Rose

John Munnery and Kathy McKenzie at the Forget Me Not Gala. Photos: Rob Maccoll

Katie Rose Cottage Hospice at Doonan held a Forget Me Not Gala event last Saturday night at Alba by Kuravita, one of its many fundraising events organised each year to continue to deliver its palliative care services.

Guests were welcomed by dancing fairies and greeted with a cocktail before enjoying a sumptuous meal as part of the festivities.

Event organiser Leigh McCready said they were grateful to the 110 community members, elected representatives and sponsors for attending and supporting their first gala.

“The gala raised around $75,000 for the fit out of our expanded facility from three to five guest rooms, including new cuddle beds for the rooms, and to fund our ongoing operational expenses,” she said.

The hospice has plans to expand its Doonan service, thanks to a $1.5m federal government grant, with two more palliative care rooms as well as introducing a home palliative-care outreach service in Noosa and northern Sunshine Coast which, in partnership with Queensland Health, will provide end-of-life care for 10 people a day.

The Doonan hospice is known as — “a happy place, where sad things happen”.

There is no charge for this compassionate service which receives about 20 per cent of its funds from the State Government and the remaining 80 per cent from local people who regard it with warmth, affection and admiration.

Hospice chairperson Carol Raye asked people to consider supporting the continued success of Katie Rose Hospice with a tax-deductible donation.

“We will always need your help,” she said.

Ms McCready said they were already looking forward to their next event and invited interested businesses and individuals to get in touch to be involved.

For more information visit