Four staff infected, MP Sandy Bolton confirms

Ms Bolton said the delayed response from health officials is ''unacceptable."

By Rose Astley

 Independent Member for Noosa Sandy Bolton has updated the community this morning, March 25, to confirm that four staff from Sails Restaurant have returned positive tests for COVID-19.Ms Bolton said in a social media post last night that herself, Mayor Tony Wellington and the Local Disaster Management Group have all reported the delays in the critical information.”Myself, the Noosa Mayor and the Local Disaster Management Group have reported that delays in online information and/or requested information is unacceptable, and even taking into the exceptional circumstances at present, that we be advised promptly of any positive tests even if there is no risk to residents, so that we can communicate with our community, without breaking any privacy laws,” Ms Bolton said.Today, Ms Bolton shared the following update received from QLD Health.

“Four staff that served patrons at Sails Restaurant in Noosa last week have tested positive for novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and are now being managed by relevant Hospital and Health Services.

“These staff members worked at the restaurant on Wednesday 18 4pm–11.15pm and Thursday 19 March 3pm–10pm while unknowingly infectious. Queensland Health is calling for people who attended the restaurant during those times to monitor their health for 14 days from those dates and see a doctor immediately if they develop any symptoms.

“If you need to see a doctor, call ahead and advise of your symptoms and exposure so staff can prepare for your visit.

“While the risk is very low, some patrons could potentially have been exposed. There is no risk to anyone who has been to this restaurant before or after this period. Sails Restaurant has been closed since 23 March 2020. Anyone with questions or concerns can contact 13 HEALTH.”

This follows alleged reports of 24 party go-ers testing positive for COVID-19 after the same interaction at the Noosa restaurant.

Cr Tony Wellington said in his latest briefing as Chair of the Local Disaster Management Group that there is low risk to the community.”Only four of those live on the Sunshine Coast, the rest have dispersed elsewhere into southeast Queenland.

“Health authorities are tracing all those participants, and they say there is a low risk to the community generally to that event,” Mr Wellington said. 

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.