Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFraser Island dingoes ’force’ camp closure

Fraser Island dingoes ’force’ camp closure

The Department of Environment and Science (DES) have extended the temporary closure of four campgrounds on Fraser Island until June due to ongoing human interference with dingoes (wongari).

Ranger in charge Linda Behrendorff said rangers were ‘forced’ to close Eli campground, Maheno campground, Guluri campground and Wahba campground in September 2020 as a result of inappropriate human interactions with dingoes at popular locations like Eli Creek, Maheno and Happy Valley.

“We closed these four popular campgrounds last year for safety reasons, because some residents and visitors were either feeding wongari or deliberately interfering with them,” Ms Behrendorff said.

“Unfortunately, that behaviour by day visitors has continued, leaving us with no choice but to extend the temporary closure until June 30 for these popular campgrounds.

“These campgrounds will not be reopened until this dangerous and foolish behaviour by day visitors and residents on the island stops.

“Day visitors and residents have to understand that their behaviour has a direct impact on the wongari and the next group of people who visit or camp on the island.

“Feeding or deliberately interfering with wongari can habituate them, which puts people and the wongari in danger.”

Ms Behrendorff said the majority of visitors to the island don’t break the law, but others can’t resist feeding or interfering with the dingoes for a selfie.

“People who want a selfie with a wongari are extremely selfish, because they’re not thinking about future interactions between the wongari and residents or visitors to the island,” she said.

“QPWS has a zero tolerance for people who intentionally feed or interfere with dingoes and will hold offenders accountable.

“In 2020, rangers issued 18 Penalty Infringement Notices (PINS) to people for dingo offences, and so far this year rangers have issued three PINS.”

“Earlier this month, two men, who encouraged a juvenile wongari to smell and lick their hands at Orchid Beach, received fines totalling $4270.

“Rangers have also recently trapped and inserted ear tags on six wongari around other popular campsites and residential areas, for ongoing monitoring due to the poor behaviour of humans.

“The ear tags will help rangers identify the wongari, who are showing signs of habituation because people are deliberately or inadvertently feeding or interacting with them.

“I’d like to remind visitors and residents on K’gari that rangers don’t have to witness dingo offences for people to be fined.

“We regularly receive photos, videos and information from tour group operators and members of the public about dingo offences.

“The COVID-19 closure of K’gari proved that wongari have access to plenty of natural food and do not need to be fed.

“Anyone who breaks the law by deliberately feeding or interacting with dingoes, or failing to secure their food and rubbish, can expect a fine or to appear in court,” Ms Behrendorff said.

Nev Raisbeck, who has received a fine for interacting with dingoes on the island said what he has witnessed is a whole different story.

“I got fined $2100 for giving a dingo a very small bit of left over chicken, they are starving hungry.

“They are skinnier than any animal I’ve seen,” Mr Raisbeck said.

“They (DES) say feeding the dingo causes them to attack kids, which is a load of s**t.

“The hungrier they are, the more they want food, if they were fed they would be friendlier and look a lot healthier.

“The Queensland Government (needs to) wake up.

“What I witness up there is a whole different story to what they reckon, those poor animals, it’s sickening to see them in this condition.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

30 Years of Inspired Learning

This year, Noosa Pengari Steiner School proudly celebrates 30 years of education. What began on 25 acres in Doonan has grown into a place...

Baroque is Bach

More News

Call to scrap closures

Noosa’s hospitality sector is bracing for another disrupted Easter long weekend, with industry leaders warning outdated Queensland trading laws will force some venues to...

Circus returns to Noosa

After eight long Years, Hudsons Circus Returns to Noosa — And the Magic Feels Bigger Than Ever* For the first time in eight years, the...

Baroque is Bach

Good news for Noosa music lovers. Popular Sunshine Coast Arioso Chamber Ensemble is presenting its first performance for the year at Cooroy...

Portuguese dreams are free

It’s funny how a simple trip down the wine aisles at Dan’s can transport you to another time, another place, and that’s before you...

Claptomaniacs at Marina Bar

Five-piece northern Coast band The Claptomaniacs are back at the Marina Bar in Noosa Marina this Friday (February 20), from 6-9pm. It's the band's first...

Bendigo brings it

Big upgrades. Big community impact. Bendigo Bank has delivered once again — and Noosa FM is ready to show it off. Thanks to funding from...

Commercial beach permits to be tendered

Noosa Council has reviewed its Commercial Use of Community Land Policy under which it regulates commercial businesses operating on Noosa Main Beach and will...

Airport growth plans

Business and tourism leaders from across Noosa and the wider Sunshine Coast have gathered to hear about ambitious growth plans for Sunshine Coast Airport,...

New skate park is open

Something smooth, bold and built for speed has just landed in the Sunshine Coast hinterland — and Noosa skateboarders are already eyeing it off...

Police warning on counterfeit notes

Police are urging Noosa businesses and residents to remain vigilant following a spike in counterfeit $50 notes detected across Queensland, with authorities warning the...