Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCooroy man charged over South Burnett corpse

Cooroy man charged over South Burnett corpse

A near-Gympie man was arrested on Friday 23 January and charged with torture, deprivation of liberty and extortion, following the discovery of a man’s body in the South Burnett region last year.

The tiny community of Maidenwell was rocked by the news last August and investigations have continued since then.

Friday’s arrest of a man, 44, from Lake Macdonald, near Cooroy, followed charges in August of torture and murder against three other men, one from North Lakes near Brisbane and two from the Sunshine Coast, police said today 24 January.

Brisbane CIB and Homicide Investigation Unit detectives said the news followed the suspicious disappearance and alleged murder last year of 56-year-old Andrew Burow.

The spokesperson said Mr Burow was taken by car on 21 August from Kelvin Grove in Brisbane to “multiple locations across South East Queensland between 21 and 25 August, where the three men allegedly tortured him.

The trio, one from North Lakes and two from the Sunshine Coast, are accused of having then killed Mr Burow and left his body beside Brooklands Pimpimbudgee Road at Maidenwell.

Police appealed for public assistance and the three were arrested on 8 October.

They are a 26-year-old North Lakes man, a 38-year-old Sippy Downs man, and a 57-year-old Buderim man.

Police at that time said the three faced one count each of murder, kidnapping, extortion and misconduct with a corpse.

Police have alleged that Mr Burow and the North Lakes man were known to each other.

“Mr Burow’s out of character disappearance was reported to police on 24 August”, the spokesperson said.

“Late on 26 August, investigations led detectives to believe the disappearance to be suspicious.

“Early in the morning on 27 August, an Incident Centre was established by Brisbane City Criminal Investigation Branch under Operation Veer.

“Between 27 August and 3 September police issued several appeals for information, which ultimately led to a Crime Stoppers report leading investigators to locating Mr Burow’s remains at Maidenwell on 2 September.

“On 8 October, police charged the first three men with murder, kidnapping, extortion and misconduct with a corpse by interfering.

“The Buderim man was charged with an additional one count of torture. The North Lakes and Sippy Downs men were previously charged with this offence on 27 August.

North Brisbane District Detective Acting Inspector Murray O’Connell said there was no scenario in which investigators were prepared to give up on finding justice for Mr Burow.

“This was a complex investigation – with the investigative team working around the clock to canvas a significant portion of South East Queensland to locate Mr Burow.”

“The report which led to us locating Mr Burow’s body demonstrates how important every report from media and tips members of the public report to police can be in solving a bigger piece of the puzzle for investigations.”

Until then, police had not given up hope of finding him alive.

“Media and public are thanked for their assistance throughout the investigation.”

The Lake Macdonald man was now expected to appear before Brisbane Magistrates Court on 5 February, a police spokesperson said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Airport growth plans

Business and tourism leaders from across Noosa and the wider Sunshine Coast have gathered to hear about ambitious growth plans for Sunshine Coast Airport,...

Koala warning

More News

Police warning on counterfeit notes

Police are urging Noosa businesses and residents to remain vigilant following a spike in counterfeit $50 notes detected across Queensland, with authorities warning the...

Koala warning

Noosa motorists are being urged to take extra care on local roads as wildlife experts warn Trauma Season is “far from over”, with record...

Big win for Sunrise Beach man

A Sunrise Beach man says he is “a very happy man” after pocketing $200,000 in Wednesday’s Lucky Lotteries Mega Jackpot draw. The Sunshine Coast resident...

Try the e-bike library

From the morning school run to a sunset ride along the river, more Noosa locals are discovering there’s a smarter, cleaner and more enjoyable...

Community rallies behind Katie Rose

Almost $6,000 has been raised so far through a GoFundMe campaign to support Katie Rose Cottage Hospice, as the Noosa-based end-of-life care provider battles...

Bat rescues continue

Wildlife carers and golf course contractors are continuing urgent works at the Noosa Golf Club driving range, with the top sections of netting being...

Cafe’s under pressure

Noosa’s café and restaurant operators are feeling the squeeze as new national figures reveal more than one in 10 food service businesses have closed...

Making a difference

A simple 10-cent container is making a big difference for a Queensland not-for-profit dedicated to rescuing and rehoming schnauzers. Since 2024, Schnauzer Rescue Queensland has...

Reptile smuggler jailed

A record eight-year jail term handed to a Sydney wildlife trafficker is being hailed as a strong warning to anyone seeking to profit from...

Star appointed as coach

Sunshine Coast Grammar School has secured a major boost to its growing girls rugby program, appointing Hayley Maddick — current Brisbane Broncos NRLW player...