Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBonza cancels flights to discuss 'ongoing viability'

Bonza cancels flights to discuss ‘ongoing viability’

Passengers have been left shocked and stranded as Australia’s only independent airline, Bonza, cancelled all flights on Tuesday 30 April.

Bonza chief executive officer Tim Jordan said Bonza temporarily suspended services while discussions were underway regarding the ongoing viability of the business.

“We apologise to our customers who are impacted by this and we’re working as quickly as possible to determine a way forward that ensures there is ongoing competition in the Australian domestic aviation market,” Tim said.

Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, Catherine King said she was aware of reports of Bonza flights being cancelled.

“I have spoken to Qantas and Virgin CEOs this morning and both airlines stand ready to assist stranded passengers needing to get home,” Catherine said.

“My Department has reached out to Bonza and our expectation is that they keep passengers informed of their options and their consumer rights.

“My Department is in the process of establishing a hotline for stranded passengers and we will get that number out to media as quickly as we can.”

In February this year, Bonza celebrated a year since taking to Aussie skies, with the CEO stating they had big plans for 2024.

“We’re predicting we’ll save domestic travellers somewhere in the vicinity of an additional $250 million this coming year,” Tim said earlier this year.

“Competition in Australian skies is a great thing for Aussie travellers and over 750,000 customers have already experienced the benefits of Bonza.”

Bonza planned to expand its fleet beyond the six aircraft currently servicing the low cost carrier’s 38 routes, together with additional routes being added and plans for a fourth base before the year was out.

The low-cost airline has grown its team month-on-month with more than 300 Bonza staff located across the country.

A Sunshine Coast man, whose wife works for the airline, told the ABC about 20 cabin crew were called into a meeting early Tuesday morning.

“She went to work this morning, as per usual, they just went in — there were two crews there — they were just basically told that Bonza has finished,” he said.

“They’ve been told that they’re not flying until further notice.

“They’ve all been told that the bottom line is that Bonza will no longer be flying.”

He said the news was a blow for the Sunshine Coast region.

“They’re pretty devastated. It’s their job. She’s been in it from day one. It’s a bit of a blow for Maroochydore and the Sunshine Coast.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Try the e-bike library

From the morning school run to a sunset ride along the river, more Noosa locals are discovering there’s a smarter, cleaner and more enjoyable...

Making a difference

More News

Bat rescues continue

Wildlife carers and golf course contractors are continuing urgent works at the Noosa Golf Club driving range, with the top sections of netting being...

Cafe’s under pressure

Noosa’s café and restaurant operators are feeling the squeeze as new national figures reveal more than one in 10 food service businesses have closed...

Making a difference

A simple 10-cent container is making a big difference for a Queensland not-for-profit dedicated to rescuing and rehoming schnauzers. Since 2024, Schnauzer Rescue Queensland has...

Reptile smuggler jailed

A record eight-year jail term handed to a Sydney wildlife trafficker is being hailed as a strong warning to anyone seeking to profit from...

Star appointed as coach

Sunshine Coast Grammar School has secured a major boost to its growing girls rugby program, appointing Hayley Maddick — current Brisbane Broncos NRLW player...

Ted gets Foreign Affairs

Federal opposition leader Angus Taylor has appointed Queensland Liberal MP and Member for Fairfax Ted O’Brien as the Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs. Mr Taylor...

Nasal spray for anaphylaxis

neffy®, an adrenaline based nasal spray, will now be available from pharmacies by prescription as an alternative treatment to adrenaline autoinjectors for people with...

Big win for Noosa SLSC

On Saturday 14 February the Noosa Heads SLSC walked away from Main Beach Noosa as winners of Sunshine Coast Branch Championships, for the 2025/26...

New top cop ‘Pointing’ the way

Brett Pointing, son of Gympie resident and retired senior police officer Laurie Pointing, will be Queensland's top cop, when he is appointed Police Commissioner...

Tri club junior boost

Local junior athletes are set to benefit after the Tewantin Lions Club donated $1,000 to the Noosa Triathlon Club this month, reinforcing the strong...