Treating skin cancer with Superficial Radiotherapy

Treatment on the chest by Just Skin.

Just Skin Treatment Clinic, with clinics located in Noosa, Maroochydore, and Gympie, is one of the only private clinics in Australia to offer Superficial Radiotherapy; a revolutionary, evidence-based, non-surgical treatment for non-melanoma skin cancer.

With skin cancer affecting two out of three Australians by the time they’re 70, having a choice when it comes to treatment options is exceptionally important for the overall health and wellbeing of those impacted.

Non-melanoma skin cancers such as Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC) and Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC) are the most common type of skin cancer and, fortunately, are also the most treatable.

BCC account for approximately 70 per cent of all non-melanoma skin cancer diagnosis in Australia, with SCC making up the remaining 30 per cent.

For these types of skin cancer, superficial radiotherapy is an ideal treatment option, particularly when surgery isn’t suitable.

There are a variety of reasons why surgery may not be suitable and can include when blood thinning medication is being taken, if there are concerns around wound healing, when multiple skin cancers present, or if avoiding surgery is a personal preference.

Superficial radiotherapy has been used to treat non-melanoma skin cancers for hundreds of years. In fact, the first documented case was in 1902 where a BCC on the nose was successfully treated.

Today, superficial radiotherapy is known the world over for its extremely effective treatment of non-melanoma skin cancers.

This treatment also differs from the more commonly known types of radiotherapy. As the term ‘superficial’ suggests, it only penetrates skin deep, making it ideal to combat non-melanoma skin cancer, while offering results on par with surgery.

Superficial radiotherapy works by using a form of low energy x-ray to directly target and kill the skin cancers’ DNA with pinpoint accuracy.

The impact causes irreversible damage to the skin cancer cells, leaving fresh new skin in its place.

It is a highly established therapy that meets the strictest of Australian medical safety standards. It is supported by Medicare, which enables low out of pocket costs and removes the need for private health insurance.

It is also completely non-invasive, meaning no cutting or surgical scars.

If you would like any more information, please contact Just Skin Treatment Clinic on 5348 9460 or visit

Just Skin’s Noosa clinic will open on Monday 13 September at 90 Goodchap St, Noosaville.