Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMaroochydore man charged after allegedly secretly filming people in their homes

Maroochydore man charged after allegedly secretly filming people in their homes

Police have charged a 32-year-old Maroochydore man with 36 offences after investigations into a man allegedly filming people in their homes without their knowledge.

Under Operation Xray Pelham, detectives from the Sunshine Coast Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB), assisted by the Crime and Intelligence Command (CIC) Sexual Crime Unit, worked together after the execution of a search warrant at a Maroochydore home on 10 February this year allegedly uncovered child exploitation material.

Also, allegedly found during the search, were photos and videos of about 40 people that had been unknowingly filmed in their homes from late 2021 to February 2025.

Sunshine Coast CIB Officer in Charge Detective Senior Sergeant Robert Lowry said though work is ongoing to identify the remaining people, he’s pleased with the current result.

“I appreciate this is a confronting incident for people living in Maroochydore and appreciate the community’s cooperation as we completed our thorough investigations,” he said.

“Detectives will continue to prioritise the privacy and well-being of those affected.

“People should not have to fear a breach of privacy in the comfort of their own home, so I’m pleased that we have a result and justice for those impacted.”

Through doorknocking and extensive investigations, police have identified 23 people featured in the recordings, including four children, all residing in Maroochydore.

Police will allege the man filmed people from outside their homes, largely through windows, on his mobile phone.

A 32-year-old man was arrested at a Maroochydore address on Wednesday 7 May, and charged with 36 offences including 29 counts of observations or recordings in breach of privacy, five counts of indecent treatment of children under 16, and one count each of indecent treatment of children under 12 and stalking.

He has been refused police bail and is due to appear in Maroochydore Magistrates Court on 8 May.

Police believe there are about 17 people yet to be identified in photos and videos and police continue to appeal to anyone with information to contact police.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Piano Day celebrated in Montville

Montville's Lucas Parklands will celebrate International Piano Day by presenting a recital by Queensland’s brilliant young pianist Rueben Tsang on Sunday 29 March at...

Baroque is Bach

More News

Circus returns to Noosa

After eight long Years, Hudsons Circus Returns to Noosa — And the Magic Feels Bigger Than Ever* For the first time in eight years, the...

Baroque is Bach

Good news for Noosa music lovers. Popular Sunshine Coast Arioso Chamber Ensemble is presenting its first performance for the year at Cooroy...

Portuguese dreams are free

It’s funny how a simple trip down the wine aisles at Dan’s can transport you to another time, another place, and that’s before you...

Claptomaniacs at Marina Bar

Five-piece northern Coast band The Claptomaniacs are back at the Marina Bar in Noosa Marina this Friday (February 20), from 6-9pm. It's the band's first...

Bendigo brings it

Big upgrades. Big community impact. Bendigo Bank has delivered once again — and Noosa FM is ready to show it off. Thanks to funding from...

Commercial beach permits to be tendered

Noosa Council has reviewed its Commercial Use of Community Land Policy under which it regulates commercial businesses operating on Noosa Main Beach and will...

Airport growth plans

Business and tourism leaders from across Noosa and the wider Sunshine Coast have gathered to hear about ambitious growth plans for Sunshine Coast Airport,...

New skate park is open

Something smooth, bold and built for speed has just landed in the Sunshine Coast hinterland — and Noosa skateboarders are already eyeing it off...

Police warning on counterfeit notes

Police are urging Noosa businesses and residents to remain vigilant following a spike in counterfeit $50 notes detected across Queensland, with authorities warning the...

Koala warning

Noosa motorists are being urged to take extra care on local roads as wildlife experts warn Trauma Season is “far from over”, with record...