Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsPause on interstate hotspot arrivals

Pause on interstate hotspot arrivals

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced an immediate pause on interstate hotspot arrivals into Queensland’s hotel quarantine.

No-one will be permitted to enter Queensland and enter hotel quarantine for a period of two weeks except for those with exemptions including for compassionate reasons.

The Premier said our hotels are full.

“This is about keeping Queenslanders safe,” the Premier said.

“Queensland is being loved to death.

“We have been overwhelmed by new arrivals from interstate hotspots relocating to Queensland to escape lockdowns in New South Wales and Victoria.

“While we have allowed genuine relocations for work and other purposes, it has overwhelmed our hotels and it has to be stopped at least for the next fortnight.”

As of yesterday, 5,114 people were in 22 quarantine hotels – 3,257 from interstate and 1,857 from overseas.

Between August 9 and 20, 2,750 were granted border passes to relocate to Queensland.

That includes 1,993 in a single week.

The Premier said that while Queensland has welcomed more than 30,000 moving from other states to a better life in Queensland, these numbers cannot be managed in hotel quarantine at the current rate.

New arrivals and Queensland residents will have to reapply for a border pass.

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said these measures are about keeping Queensland safe.

“The pressures on hotel quarantine are simply unsustainable,” the minister said.

“We never know how many domestic arrivals we have from day to day.

“So far we have been able to accommodate them and I appreciate this is a major inconvenience, but we our first priority must be keeping Queenslanders safe.”

The requirements for the NSW border zone residents remain as is, and people will be able to access essential goods and services in Queensland.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Piano Day celebrated in Montville

Montville's Lucas Parklands will celebrate International Piano Day by presenting a recital by Queensland’s brilliant young pianist Rueben Tsang on Sunday 29 March at...

Baroque is Bach

More News

Circus returns to Noosa

After eight long Years, Hudsons Circus Returns to Noosa — And the Magic Feels Bigger Than Ever* For the first time in eight years, the...

Baroque is Bach

Good news for Noosa music lovers. Popular Sunshine Coast Arioso Chamber Ensemble is presenting its first performance for the year at Cooroy...

Portuguese dreams are free

It’s funny how a simple trip down the wine aisles at Dan’s can transport you to another time, another place, and that’s before you...

Claptomaniacs at Marina Bar

Five-piece northern Coast band The Claptomaniacs are back at the Marina Bar in Noosa Marina this Friday (February 20), from 6-9pm. It's the band's first...

Bendigo brings it

Big upgrades. Big community impact. Bendigo Bank has delivered once again — and Noosa FM is ready to show it off. Thanks to funding from...

Commercial beach permits to be tendered

Noosa Council has reviewed its Commercial Use of Community Land Policy under which it regulates commercial businesses operating on Noosa Main Beach and will...

Airport growth plans

Business and tourism leaders from across Noosa and the wider Sunshine Coast have gathered to hear about ambitious growth plans for Sunshine Coast Airport,...

New skate park is open

Something smooth, bold and built for speed has just landed in the Sunshine Coast hinterland — and Noosa skateboarders are already eyeing it off...

Police warning on counterfeit notes

Police are urging Noosa businesses and residents to remain vigilant following a spike in counterfeit $50 notes detected across Queensland, with authorities warning the...

Koala warning

Noosa motorists are being urged to take extra care on local roads as wildlife experts warn Trauma Season is “far from over”, with record...