Coolum get one over Lions


A CONFIDENT Coolum registered first points in their Premier Men’s match against the Noosa Lions team on Saturday.
A tense opening stanza saw Coolum’s defence repel repeated forays by the Lions into the red zone, keeping the score at 1-0 for what seemed like an age to Noosa supporters.
As the game wore on Noosa’s midfield took control with some dazzling runs from Tim Hollingworth and resolute defence by captain Ben Cahn.
Once the cracks began to appear in the Coolum defence the gates opened, not once, not twice, but three times for Dave Macrae, showing he was equally deadly with his left and right feet.
Some great aerial displays by Noosa goalkeeper Nathan Brown thwarted several of Coolum’s determined counter attacks. The highlight of the game for some was the ‘air swing of the season’ by the Noosa goalie whose lightning fast run to a slowly approaching ball left him red-faced as the ball passed unimpeded under the high swinging boot. To Nathan’s relief, and the crowd’s amusement, the ball ran painlessly to the left of goal.
Two goals to Dan Upton brought Noosa’s total to five.
Coolum only managed to bag one more in the second half.
A 5-2 win for the Lions taking them to second place on the ladder with Kawana only two points ahead. Something they are keen to address when the teams meet at the end of the month.
The Premier Reserve grade game saw Noosa dominate possession for most of the game.
Returning from injury, striker Ben Amson outstripped the Coolum keeper to a ball running across the top of the 18-yard box and slotted a ball in to the vacant goal for Noosa’s only points.
Defending a one-point lead is dangerous and with minutes to go Coolum struck the equaliser.
Ladies night at the Lions’ Den on Friday saw the first ever meeting of two Noosa Senior Women’s in the coastal competition. Ellie Jones was determined throughout scoring from both her left and right foot.
A great team effort from both sides in an entertaining game of football.
The cheer of the week-end must go to the under-15 (2) girl’s team and the loyal band of parents who let out a roar when 12-year-old Rebecca Price slotted the team’s first goal for the season.