Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBerardo is back

Berardo is back

By JOLENE OGLE

JIM Berardo has confirmed the Noosa Food and Wine Festival will return next year and he believes local restaurants will be back thanks to new payment arrangements.
Mr Berardo beat six other companies who bid to buy the premier food festival’s intellectual property, only three months after the company went into voluntary receivership on 29 May.
The restauranteur still owes outstanding creditors about $300,000, but Mr Berardo said he would repay creditors privately “over time”.
“I’ve contacted most of the creditors, but we’re still chasing some invoices,” he said.
“I know the creditors are small businesses and this would have affected them.”
For the 2016 festival, which is expected to run from 19 to 22 May, Mr Berardo said businesses would be paid directly from The J and steps were being taken to prevent rain impacting the event.
“A combination of things resulted in the company going into receivership,” he said. “Berardo’s Restaurant and Bar was running at a loss so I had to close it.”
Mr Berardo said rain also affected the festival for the second year in a row, impacting day ticket sales and expenditure at the event.
While the past three months have been a stressful time for Mr Berardo, he said he believed the 2016 Noosa Food and Wine Festival would pick up where it left off last year, with major sponsors tipped to stay on board for the coming years.
“I want to keep the momentum going,” he said. “I know this event means a lot to the local culinary industry.”
Mr Berardo said, given the new payment arrangements, he didn’t see any reason why local restaurants wouldn’t return to the festival.
“There’s no reason not to come back,” he said.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Airport growth plans

Business and tourism leaders from across Noosa and the wider Sunshine Coast have gathered to hear about ambitious growth plans for Sunshine Coast Airport,...

Koala warning

More News

Police warning on counterfeit notes

Police are urging Noosa businesses and residents to remain vigilant following a spike in counterfeit $50 notes detected across Queensland, with authorities warning the...

Koala warning

Noosa motorists are being urged to take extra care on local roads as wildlife experts warn Trauma Season is “far from over”, with record...

Big win for Sunrise Beach man

A Sunrise Beach man says he is “a very happy man” after pocketing $200,000 in Wednesday’s Lucky Lotteries Mega Jackpot draw. The Sunshine Coast resident...

Try the e-bike library

From the morning school run to a sunset ride along the river, more Noosa locals are discovering there’s a smarter, cleaner and more enjoyable...

Community rallies behind Katie Rose

Almost $6,000 has been raised so far through a GoFundMe campaign to support Katie Rose Cottage Hospice, as the Noosa-based end-of-life care provider battles...

Bat rescues continue

Wildlife carers and golf course contractors are continuing urgent works at the Noosa Golf Club driving range, with the top sections of netting being...

Cafe’s under pressure

Noosa’s café and restaurant operators are feeling the squeeze as new national figures reveal more than one in 10 food service businesses have closed...

Making a difference

A simple 10-cent container is making a big difference for a Queensland not-for-profit dedicated to rescuing and rehoming schnauzers. Since 2024, Schnauzer Rescue Queensland has...

Reptile smuggler jailed

A record eight-year jail term handed to a Sydney wildlife trafficker is being hailed as a strong warning to anyone seeking to profit from...

Star appointed as coach

Sunshine Coast Grammar School has secured a major boost to its growing girls rugby program, appointing Hayley Maddick — current Brisbane Broncos NRLW player...