Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsSegway patrols called off

Segway patrols called off

THE Queensland Police have confirmed there will be no more Segway patrols as the trial comes to an end.
Senior Constable Pierre Senekal originally trialled the Segway when patrolling the Hastings Street beat before transferring to Kenilworth station.
A police media statement released in March said Kenilworth locals could expect to see more of Senior Constable Senekal on the Segway and that the use of the Segway for patrols had been “really well received by locals”, but the use of the futuristic patrolling method has since been called off.
Local media reports suggested the Segway trial was ended because there were “more crashes than anticipated”, but Sunshine Coast District Officer Darryl Johnson said no QPS members were injured while using the Segways.
Sunshine Coast District Officer Darryl Johnson confirmed the Segway trial had ended, with bicycle, foot and vehicle patrols to continue.
“Last year, two Segways were used within the Hastings Street precinct, but this has now been discontinued,” he said.
“Bicycle, foot and vehicle patrols continue to be undertaken as these provide our officers with the most effective and efficient way to meet our objective to keep the Sunshine Coast safe,” he said.
“The QPS used bicycles successfully during the G20 Leaders’ Summit and these skills are now being implemented on the Sunshine Coast.”
Senior Constable Senekal gained some infamy on the internet last year when his unfortunate Segway stack in Hastings Street was caught on CCTV camera.
The footage was released to raise funds for charity.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Caloundra hosts Community Cabinet

The Crisafulli Government is taking the first Community Cabinet of 2026 to Caloundra on Sunday 8 March. Premier David Crisafulli and Ministers will meet with...

Community update

More News

Man charged on assault and theft

Police charged a 52-year-old man charged with multiple offences following the theft of Egyptian artefacts at a Caboolture museum and an assault in Hastings...

Proudly looking after the Mary

A native fish that has been faced with extinction is set to play a role in a much-wider effort to save the health of...

Menopause can mask ovarian cancer

Mater doctors are warning women that the onset of menopause and perimenopause can sometimes mask life-threatening cases of ovarian cancer. Around 1900 Australian women...

Weekend car crashes

Four people have been hospitalised following car crashes in the Noosa region this weekend. A woman in her 30s with minor injuries was transported to...

Flash flooding Fraser Coast

Police are reminding all drivers not to drive through flood waters with a number of roads closed across the Fraser Coast and North Burnett...

Local authors feathered fantasy

Magic can be found right here on the Sunshine Coast - just ask local children’s author Jayne McIntyre, who has secured a three-book deal...

Project Manta revealed

Professor Kathy Townsend of the University of the Sunshine Coast is a leading marine biologist known for her pioneering research on manta rays. As...

New law puts GPS trackers on bailed youth

The state government says it is delivering on its election promise to make the Sunshine Coast safer with the implementation of a new law...

The riddle of Walshpool Gully

A family friendly children’s show coming to The J in March on Thursday 26 March 11.00am, Friday 27 March 26 6pm. Combining old-fashioned storytelling with...

Pomona crossing designs underway

The state government this week announced design work was underway on safety upgrades for Pomona, including new pedestrian crossings, raised township entry treatments and...