Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFood and wine fight ends

Food and wine fight ends

THE food and wine fight is over after local businessman Jim Berardo officially cancelled the planned re-launch of the Noosa International Food and Wine Festival (NIFWF), leaving creditors in the lurch.
In a statement to the media, Mr Berardo said plans to relaunch the festival in May 2016 had been cancelled due to a lack of funding from tourism bodies, a lack of sponsorship deals and conflicting competition from another local food and wine festival.
Mr Berardo said the “apparent conceptual food festival” proposed by the Sheraton Noosa Resort and Spa for the same dates in May 2016 “has made for a near impossible situation for private sponsors to securely back” the festival.
“Another contributing factor with the private sponsors was the dichotomy of withdrawal of all funding from both the Tourism Events Qld board of directors and Tourism Noosa board of directors, despite the overall enormous success of the NIFWF over many years,” he said.
“I deeply regret after 12 years the festival will not be staged in 2016. We have given it our all and looked to pursue every angle in order to continue, but in light of recent events, we have now decided we cannot proceed to create a profitable and sustainable event at this time hence, we have decided to cancel our plans.”
Mr Berardo said he will not be able to repay creditors, now the festival has been cancelled.
“Without the 2016 event going ahead, we cannot make payments to creditors of Noosa Food and Wine Events Pty Ltd,” he said.
“I have done everything in my power to mitigate the situation but regrettably have had no support and we now do not have the business model to proceed with the repayments.”
Mr Berardo said he and festival co-founder Greg O’Brien invested “millions” from their personal funds into the festival’s start-up phase, saying tourism boards provided “minimal funding only after the festival was established and recognised for its contribution to the local economy.”
Mr Berardo thanked the more than 160 volunteers, staff, patrons, chefs and food producers who all took part in the 12-year history of the NIFWF.
In his statement to the media, Mr Berardo says he “deeply regrets” the current circumstances and hopes the proposed food and wine festival of the Sheraton Resort will “deliver the same or even greater economic benefits, increased visitor nights, media coverage” and reputation of Noosa’s culinary scene.
“It is a pleasure and honour to be a part of that history,” Mr Berardo said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

The power and the passion

A film documenting how the correct choice of plants and use of water can change the Australian landscape premieres in Gympie next month. Rehydrating Australia...

New leaders

Measles alert

Learn the ukulele

More News

New leaders

On Wednesday, the 2026 Senior Leaders of Good Shepherd Lutheran College were officially commissioned during a special Installation and Commissioning Service, a proud and significant...

Measles alert

Health authorities have issued a public alert after a confirmed measles case visited multiple locations on the Sunshine Coast, including wards at Sunshine Coast...

Learn the ukulele

Come and learn to play the Ukulele with Cherry the Ukulele Lady. She is back teaching ukulele after a big break. If...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Democracy undermined in state parliament

The first sitting of Queensland Parliament for 2026, saw the return of undemocratic politics seen pre-Christmas with urgency motions again used by government to...

30 Years of Inspired Learning

This year, Noosa Pengari Steiner School proudly celebrates 30 years of education. What began on 25 acres in Doonan has grown into a place...

Piano Day celebrated in Montville

Montville's Lucas Parklands will celebrate International Piano Day by presenting a recital by Queensland’s brilliant young pianist Rueben Tsang on Sunday 29 March at...

Call to scrap closures

Noosa’s hospitality sector is bracing for another disrupted Easter long weekend, with industry leaders warning outdated Queensland trading laws will force some venues to...

Circus returns to Noosa

After eight long Years, Hudsons Circus Returns to Noosa — And the Magic Feels Bigger Than Ever* For the first time in eight years, the...

Baroque is Bach

Good news for Noosa music lovers. Popular Sunshine Coast Arioso Chamber Ensemble is presenting its first performance for the year at Cooroy...