Casino plan unclear

JOLENE OGLE
It still remains unclear whether the Coast can expect a new casino, despite eight parties having already applied for one of the two regional licences available.

The Newman Government has two regional, integrated casino licences up for grabs with applications closing March 31, 2014 and costing $100,000 each in lodgement fees.
The casino licences are part of a Queensland Government plan to deliver two new world-class tourism drawcards in regional Queensland centres.
The casinos will not be stand-alone casinos: the successful applicants will need to integrate the new ventures into a resort and demonstrate how the region will benefit from the development.
But, when asked if Palmer Coolum Resort would be applying for one of the licences, a spokesperson for the resort said he didn’t believe Clive Palmer would want to comment at this time.
In October last year, a regional newspaper reported former resort general manager Bill Schoch as saying a concept being developed by Mr Palmer had a casino as an essential element.
The very next day, ABC News reported that Mr Palmer ruled out the possibility of a casino for the Coolum coast, saying he didn’t plan on applying for one of the licences.
“Given the state of the economy, we need to limit the damage that gambling can do to our society,” Mr Palmer said.
Mr Palmer said he would rather focus on the positive things about Queensland, such as the Great Barrier Reef and other natural wonders.

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.