Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBlack walk for suffering wildlife

Black walk for suffering wildlife

There was no human life lost but volunteers are now counting the cost to wildlife after fires tore through more than 900 hectares of national park in Coolum last week.
An army of volunteers from Wildlife Rescue Sunshine Coast (WRSC) is currently conducting ‘black walks’ through the burnt land to look for dead and dying animals.
The group started the walks on Monday at 8am and in an interview with ABC Radio WRSC co-founder Claire Smith said black walks are important after a fire.
“We want to find dead or dying animals for two reasons. We want to see what impact the fire had and we also want to find any suffering animals,” she said.
“Then our job is to get them out of there and get them to the Australian Wildlife Hospital at Australia Zoo and have them humanely euthanized so that the suffering ends.”
Ms Smith said the group had found mainly dead reptiles such as snakes, lizards and bearded dragons.
But the good news was they had spotted four adult male kangaroos, a wallaby and plenty of animals tracks that showed the quick escape of mass animals, plus small green shoots already showing through the blackened bushlands.
Ms Smith said the walk was called a black walk because the land became an “alien-like” environment.
“It’s been bush one minute and vibrant and in the space of a few hours it becomes desolate, dark, black, smelly and without life,” she said.
The fires are now out and while the emergency and volunteer services have a well-deserved rest, police and fire investigators are still investigating the cause of the fires that tore through more than 900 hectares of national park and threatened almost 60 homes last Thursday.
The WRSC is a volunteer-based animal rescue group that operates 24-hours a day seven days a week.
Anyone who would like to volunteer, donate or report an animal rescue emergency can visit www.wrsc.org.au, or phone 0432 310 556 or 0415 839 554.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Nasal spray for anaphylaxis

neffy®, an adrenaline based nasal spray, will now be available from pharmacies by prescription as an alternative treatment to adrenaline autoinjectors for people with...
More News

New top cop ‘Pointing’ the way

Brett Pointing, son of Gympie resident and retired senior police officer Laurie Pointing, will be Queensland's top cop, when he is appointed Police Commissioner...

Tri club junior boost

Local junior athletes are set to benefit after the Tewantin Lions Club donated $1,000 to the Noosa Triathlon Club this month, reinforcing the strong...

Streetscape for Maroochydore CBD

Imagine a street where shady trees, wide paths and safer crossings invite you to slow down, connect and enjoy the heart of Maroochydore. That vision...

New police commissioner appointed

The State Government has appointed Brett Pointing as the Commissioner of the Queensland Police Service, following the retirement of Steve Gollschewski. Newly appointed...

Filling up with Unitywater

Thirsty locals and visitors have filled the equivalent of 70,000 reusable water bottles with fresh, healthy drinking water at Unitywater’s Drink Tap van over...

Help dogs help people

Up to 250,000 Australians living with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) could benefit from an assistance dog, yet many are forced to wait upwards...

Summer swim in Noosa

The Noosa Summer Swim Festival being held this weekend has grown into one of Australia’s most iconic open water swimming events. Each year, more...

Caloundra hosts Community Cabinet

The Crisafulli Government is taking the first Community Cabinet of 2026 to Caloundra on Sunday 8 March. Premier David Crisafulli and Ministers will meet with...

Community update

From singing and bush care to service clubs and art, there is a wide variety of groups in Noosa. RED CROSS: The meeting of the Tewantin-Noosa...

Man charged on assault and theft

Police charged a 52-year-old man charged with multiple offences following the theft of Egyptian artefacts at a Caboolture museum and an assault in Hastings...